Preparing for Straightening
preparation for straightening
- Healthier hair will have the best results.
- Michi recommends using Miracle Hot Oil Treatment at least 5 times before hair straightening to improve and maintain your hair condition and health.
- “Healthy Hair” means that you have a strong cortex and smooth cuticle (see photo below). This is important for top quality results.
- Use a high quality shampoo and conditioner.
- Give your hair at least ten days before straightening without any chemical processes, including hair coloring.
the day of your appointment
- Use clarifying or deep cleansing shampoo 2 to 3 times in the morning the day of your hair appointment.
- No conditioner
- If you are coming in for a re-touch on new growth, it’s fine to apply conditioner to the ends, but not the new growth
- No blow dry necessary – just air dry, please.
- This way, Michi will be able to see and feel your hair in its natural and true condition, and ensure the best possible results for your hair.
- Avoid washing your hair for three days following your straightening.
- Use Miracle Hot Oil Treatment on the third day after your straightening.
- Follow Miracle Hot Oil Treatment with a high quality shampoo.
- Also, do your best to keep your hair straight and smooth. Avoid ponytails and braids for one week.
- Wait at least ten days before any other chemical process, including hair coloring.
If your hair is dry, damaged, or frizzy from constant blow drying or high temperature ironing, it is more difficult to achieve the best results. All results are based on your hair condition at the inner cortex and outer cuticle.
During the hair straightening process, chemical bonds in the cortex of the hair are broken using a thioglycolate compound. The bonds are then reformed with a straightening iron, creating permanently straight, smooth, shiny hair
Most deep conditioning treatment treats only the outermost cuticle layer, and doesn’t penetrate into the cortex level, where the hair needs most proteins & keratin before the hair straightening treatment, or any other chemical treatment.
Conditioner is fine for cuticle treatments to make hair shine, but it evaporates too quickly to penetrate deeply. That’s is why I created Miracle Hot Oil Hair Treatment that gives maximum protein / keratin, collagen, essential fatty acids … using 100% natural essential oils, the small molecules of which easily penetrate into the cortex with less evaporation.